It's Thyme For Slow-Cooker Beef Stew

I'm not impressed with any of the recipes I've tried out over the last few years, so I've gone and developed my own. Well, I'm developing my own; it may take some tweaking. Here it is as stands:

November 1, 2009 Version
Thyme For Slow-Cooker Beef Stew

Ingredients:
2 lbs of your favorite cut of beef for stew, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (you have my permission to use all-purpose if you prefer)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 bay leaves (depending on preference)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (use low-sodium soy sauce if you must)
3-4 cups good quality beef broth
1/2 to 3/4 of a small bag of baby carrots (hey, it saves time!)
1 large onion, chopped
2 pounds of diced potatoes (I like 'em home grown.)


Directions:
In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the beef in the flour mixture.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the beef to the hot skillet and cook until all sides are nicely browned.

In a 4-quart slow-cooker, combine the browned beef and the rest of the ingredients. Cook over low heat for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.

If you added too much beef broth and it's more soupy than stewy (ok, I made that word up) you can use a cornstarch roux to thicken it up a bit.

Enjoy!

0 comments: