Brainstorming the Christmas Menu

Every year on Christmas Day my family descends on our house for food and fun. Because we're the only ones with kids it works out really well for us; the kids get to play with their new toys instead of trekking off to visit family while their new toys sit at home all alone. And every year I try to make yummy treats for us to snack on. This year I'm having a much harder time with it. Perhaps it's because paying for private preschool tuition for two kids is draining our already meager financial resources? :) Anyway, I decided that with just ten days until The Big Day it was time to sit down and make a shopping list and a task list so I get everything accomplished. The Christmas cards have already been mailed, the presents are wrapped *, the house is decorated as much as it's going to be this year.....time to focus on the food!

* Except for the edible gifts I still need to make, but those won't be wrapped until a day or two before Christmas.

Breakfast is usually a casserole full of bread, eggs, meat, and cheese. I think this year I'm going to make a sausage version, as it went over really well last year. I'm also thinking about making cinnamon rolls since I have everything on hand already.

The rest of the day we just snack on appetizers instead of having me slave away in my out-of-the-way kitchen while everyone else enjoys themselves with the kids' toys. I always have a cheese ball of some sort with crackers. Last year was a bacon cheese ball, this year I'm thinking of trying this one.

I also think I'll make Pizza Bianca, which is dough topped with olive oil and rosemary. It's so simple and tasty.

I would love to do French Dip Sandwiches (we love this recipe!) and they would be really easy, but buying a beef roast doesn't sound cheap. We'll see.

Other years we've had Taco Dip with tortilla chips, Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips, Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip and things like that.

I have to admit that on Christmas we don't tend to eat many veggies.

Drinks will be coffee, tea, strawberry lemonade, and various sodas. I'm keeping it simple.

0 comments: